Contact the Committee for Missing Children 1-800-525-8204
Immediately call the local law enforcement and report your child missing. If your child is a runaway or has been abducted by a spouse, be firm with the law enforcement individual you are talking to, but polite in demanding all that can be done will be done.
Make sure that your child is entered into NCIC, the FBI's National Crime Information Center. This is federal law and there are no waiting periods for missing or abducted children.THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Ask for the NCIC number.
1. If you believe that your child has been abducted by a stranger, ask the police to put out a BE ON THE LOOK OUT bulletin (BOLO)
2. Ask about the possibility of involving the FBI
3. Record the name of your police investigator and all other important information. Make sure you get all necessary phone numbers and keep in a handy place.
4. Gather your child's most recent pictures. If you do not have one, contact their school. Many schools keep a copy of their class picture for your child's records.
5. Call all your child's friends, keep notes and phone numbers
In case of an abduction by a stranger and if you have access to the internet, download a copy of When Your Child is Missing: A Family Survival Guide This is one of the best guides we have found that lists what to do immediately and day by day. This book was written by parents whose children were abducted by a stranger. Note: If you can not read PDF files please download Adobe Acrobat Reader at bottom of page.
If your child has been abducted by a spouse, contact The Committee for Missing Children at 1-800-525-8204. We will lead you through the process and get you to the people and organizations that will be able to assist you.
If you child is a runaway, contact the National Runaway Switchboard at 1-800-621-4000
To register your child as missing, Contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678)
Contact your State Missing Children's Clearinghouse. Every State has one. If you do not have a computer, contact the CMC (Committee for Missing Children) or the NCMEC (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children) for a copy of All State Clearinghouses.
For further assistance, go to our section on United States Non-profit Organizations or if you need assistance in Europe go to our section on International Non Governmental Organizations (NGO's) or access our European Web.

Information | Missing Children | Amber Alert | Photo Archives | Success Stories | Legal Corner
About Us | Safety Tips | Contact Us | Donations | European Site | Hague Countries | Home